Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sound Check

Yesterday I was playing with The Child on the patio. We had some chalk and I drew a map of the neighborhood.

Then I listened. Noise from Neighbor A bounces off of Neighbor A's house, crosses Neighbor B's yard, reflects off the back of Neighbor C's house and focuses on ... our yard. I drew green soundwaves on the map. Noise from Neighbor D bounces between Neighbor E's house and ours and focuses on ... our yard. More green soundwaves. Noise from Neighbor F funnels through Neighbor E's carport and sluices into ... (you guessed it) our yard. By this time the green lines on the map made a moire pattern about where our cherry tree is.

If only the noises matched themselves somehow and cancelled out.

So I went to Coastal Hardware today. Looks like a Really Big Fountain costs $200 and Really Big Wind Chimes cost $130. Time to budget. Or maybe I can weld some old metal kitchen bowls to a windmill and water pump....

No comments: